Abdul Basit received his B.Sc. degree in electrical engineering from University of Engineering & Technology (UET), Peshawar, Pakistan in 2006, M.Sc. degree in electrical power engineering from Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden in 2011 and his PhD from the Department of Wind Energy of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) in 2015. His PhD research on ‘Wind Power Plant System Services’ has developed and analysed the control strategies which can increase the WPPs capability to provide system services, such as active power balancing control, in a modern power system with large scale integration wind power. The PhD study proposes a novel and practical approach of integrating the WPPs control into the AGC. This is based on a coordinated control strategy between CHPs and WPPs, that improves the active power balance in the power system with minimum secondary dispatch cost. Moreover, the study also analysed the case where secondary control is provided from WPPs and flexible consumption units. The main results of his PhD research work show that the WPPs can actively contribute to power balance control through primary and secondary response. The integration of WPPs control into the AGC is of high relevance, particularly in situations when wind power is contributing highly to the total electricity production and conventional power plants are operating on the minimum level. The grid support services from WPPs improve the active power balance control and make power system operation more reliable.
Abdul Basit is currently employed as an Assistant professor at the Pakistan Centre for Advanced Studies in Energy (PCASE-E) of the University of Engineering & Technology (UET) Peshawar. He is currently responsible for teaching and assisting masters and PhDs student in their research projects and also working on national and international level projects.
Contact Phone & Email
Ph: 0311 9965550
Assistant Professor at US Pakistan Centre for Advanced Studies in Energy (USPCAS-E) from May 2009
- A. Basit, A.D. Hansen, M. Altin, P. Sørensen and M. Gamst, “Wind Power Integration into the Automatic Generation Control of Power Systems with Large Scale Wind Power”, Published in The journal of engineering, IET (IET-JoE), 2014
- A. Basit, A.D. Hansen, M. Altin, P. Sørensen and M. Gamst, “Compensating Active Power Imbalances in a power system with high wind power penetration” Accepted for publication in journal of modern power system and clean energy (MPCE), springer
- A. Basit, A.D. Hansen, P. Sørensen and G. Giannopoulos, “Real-time impact of power balancing on power system operation with large scale integration of wind power” Submitted to journal of modern power system and clean energy (MPCE) , springer
- A. Basit, A.D. Hansen, M. Altin, P. Sørensen, ‘Analysis of Highly Wind Power Integrated Power System model performance during Critical Weather conditions’, Wind Integration Workshop (WIW14), Berlin, 2014
- A. Basit, A.D. Hansen, M. Altin, P. Sørensen, ‘Balancing modern Power System with large scale of wind power’, China Wind Power (CWP2014), Beijing
- A. Basit, A.D. Hansen, P. Sørensen ‘Dynamic model of frequency control in Danish power system with large scale integration of wind power’, China Wind Power (CWP2013), Beijing
- A. Basit, A.D. Hansen, I.D. Margaris, J.C. Hansen, ’A Review of Grid Requirements for Wind Farm in Denmark and China’, China Wind Power (CWP2012), Beijing
- ‘Large scale integration of wind power in Danish Power system’, Danish Wind Power Research 2013, 2013, Fredericia, Denmark
- ‘Integrating Wind Power Plants control in Automatic Generation Control’, Vestas - Danish Smart Grid Research Network, Aarhus, Denmark
Area of Interest
- Power systems operation and control
- Integration of renewable energy sources into power systems
- Automatic Generation Control
- Wind Power Plant control
System Engineer(Field Engineer) at NEC Corporation, Pakistan (2007 – 2009)
Responsibilities: Operation & maintenance of Microwave Network, Technical Support Services (TSS) & Line of Sight (LOS) Surveys for Microwave links, Network Management System (NMS) visibility and troubleshooting & rectification of PDH and SDH media.