The world is undergoing a smooth but rapid transition from producing power from fossil fuels – which are quickly depleting and pose serious environmental threats – to more abundantly available Renewable Energy resource, to fulfill its ever growing energy demand. These sources are not only interminable, but are also environment friendly. These sources provide opportunity for promoting distributed power generation to avoid power transmission and distribution losses and other associated complexities. Furthermore, these sources are turning out to be more economical, and in many instances the costs of power generation from these sources is cheaper compared to that from the conventional sources. Therefore, it is the need of the hour to develop competent and knowledgeable human resource to take up the transition challenges and fulfill the emerging market demands for skilled workforce in these areas. Pakistan is blessed with abundant solar, wind, hyrdo and biomass resource, and thus it can easily fulfill its growing energy demands if these sources are properly harnessed. With these objectives in mind, USPCAS-E UET Peshawar would like to commence Master and Ph.D. programs in Renewable Energy Engineering as per the course curriculum below.
The objectives of the Renewable Energy Engineering program is to develop capacity building in a rapidly developing knowledge bank for addressing the ever rising demand for energy through modern renewable technologies. This objective is to be achieved through continuously updating the course curriculum of the program to ensure relevance to the latest market demands and generation of new technologies, as well as encouraging professional growth and development of the students and researchers. The program is designed to satisfy the growing market demand for skilled manpower in the new, clean and economical energy sources.
Mode of execution: The courses are offered in regular day classes, conducted at the campus. It will also include industrial visits, seminars, training modules and case studies.
1. Graduates will be able to apply the knowledge and principles of renewable energy engineering and use appropriate technologies for the betterment of the society.
2. Recognize international and national issues related to global warming and environmental degradation, in respect of energy generation and consumption.
3. Solve problems by thinking critically, creatively and reflectively and communicate solutions in an effective manner.
4. Apply the science and engineering principles for solving the energy related issues specific to Pakistan and other developing countries.
5. Select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering tools, including prediction and modeling, to design, analyze and experimentally verify the renewable energy systems and their components output.
6. Apply international standards, practices and conventions appropriate to energy policies, like Kyoto protocol and Paris agreements.
7. Understand the impact of renewable energy solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
Solar PV, Solar Thermal, Wind, Biomass, Hydro, Geothermal, Renewable Energy Policy, Electrical Systems, Energy Management, Energy Materials, Environmental Impacts, Fuel Cells, Energy Storage
Curriculum Map (Ph.D. Program):
Criteria and Requirements
• M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
• M.S. in Chemical Engineering
• M.S. in Electrical Engineering
• M.S. in Mechatronics Engineering
• M.S. in Material Engineering
• M.S. in Renewable Energy Engineering
• M.S. in Agricultural Engineering
• Or any other relevant M.S./ M.Phil Engineering degree
Students will be offered admission as per standard PhD admission policy of UET
Degree Requirement: The degree requirement can be seen under the PhD degree section of this prospectus.