USAID funded Centers for Advance Studies in Energy at UET Peshawar, working with Arizona State University (ASU) is a new initiative funded by USAID with the aim to address the challenges faced by the energy sector in Pakistan. Strategic goals are to develop a center in Energy to develop new curriculum, research, work force, and training students in the energy area. The objective of the research projects is to develop projects in the areas that will have direct impact on the Pakistan Energy Economy, industry, utilities, and workforce. We strongly encourage partnerships with Industry, Utility companies, and Government / NGO agencies for research support, matching fund, and project directions.
Research Areas: The center research projects are focused on:
- Energy Materials and Devices, including, Fuel Cell, Batteries, Solar Cells, Wind Energy and super capacitors.
- Renewable Energy Science & Technology: Solar, PV, CPV, Biofuels, Wind power, Hydroelectricity, Solar-thermal, Geothermal, etc.
- Applied Energy Economics and Analysis: Applied research Policy with focus on Energy Economics, modeling of energy system to assist in policy, and related applied research impact on policy.
- Thermal Energy Engineering, including Fossil Fuel Thermal, Solar thermal and related areas.
- Electrical Energy Systems, Power System, including Grid, Energy System, and related areas.
Deadlines: Dec 15, 2015, Midnight Islamabad time (No late proposal will be accepted)
- For any questions contact Deputy Director Projects USPCAS-E UET Peshawar: +92 91- 9222089
- Budget: Up to US $30K. Matching funds (up to $10K) from Industry or government agencies is encouraged and can be in kind, cash, or related support:
- Other universities (if applicable): Other universities with Energy programs are encouraged to work with USPCAS-E UET Peshawar.
- Project Duration: The project will be for maximum of 12 months.
- Eligibility: The applicant (PI and Co-PIs) should be a full time faculty member of HEC recognized university. He/she should have an advanced academic degree and relevant research experience. In case of PI from outside the USPCAS-E UET Peshawar, the Co-PI should be from USPCAS-E UET Peshawar.
- Focus on practical energy problems that will make an impact on the Pakistan Energy portfolio.
- Strong collaboration with Industry, Utility, Government, NGO, or other energy areas is encouraged. Strong tied with other USAID funded projects is also encourage. Each project is expected to form partnerships by bringing together the academic researchers, government, and the business community to identify solutions for localized and systemic challenges facing the public and private sectors in the area of energy.
- Train highly qualified graduates for public and private sector employment in the energy sector.The projects should focus on providing equitable opportunities to talented but economically disadvantaged students to work on these projects.
- Special consideration should be given to gender balance.
Proposal Format: The technical part of proposal should be 3-5 pages
- Title, PI and Co-PI contact information, institution,
- Summary Page (1 page)
- Goals and objectives (3-5 bullet items)
- Technical Details (2-3 pages):
- What do you plan to work on
- Importance of the project
- Application of the project
- Technical Details
- Potential for commercialization, (3-5 bullet items).
- Deliverables: Demonstration, application, hardware, software, publications, patents, etc.
- Milestones: Deliverables for each Quarter
Remuneration to PIs. & Co-PIs
R&PC may recommend remuneration
depending upon project duration and extent of involvement of PIs & Co-PIs. Amount should be:
Rs. 15,000 to 30,000 per month
· MS/M.Phil. students
· Ph.D. students
· @ Rs. 20,000/- per month
@ Rs. 25,000/- per month Ph.D. students
(Only for approved duration of the project)
Equipment, Lab Supplies
Specific equipment and lab materials
needed for the project.
Journals and Conference feeds
As per requirement of the publisher up
to Rs. 80,000/-
Secretariat Staff of CAS-EP and Research
Directorate staff involved in the Project
Rs. 30,000 per project
Rs. 20,000 per project
Rs. 30,000 (maximum)
Rs. 50,000 (maximum)
Other specific requirements, including
conference travels, etc.
Depending upon the nature of the
15% - 20 %
Additional supporting information (outside the 3-5 page )
Each proposal should include the following items:
- Technical References / bibliography (1 page)
- Budget (see web site for details)
- Industry collaboration (letter of interest, or other forms of showing collaboration or matching funds from industry.
- University Authority approval and signature (Pro Vice Chancellor, Pro-Rector)
- Each proposal will be reviewed by three anonymous reviewer. The review will be based on its merit and technical content.
- CAS-EP Research and Policy Committee will finalize the selection and recommend the projects to the chairman Research and Policy Council committee for the final approval
Progress Report: Each project PI will be required to send:
- Bi-annual project review report/presentations including posters, and demonstrations.
- Final and completion report to the Research and Policy Committee at USPCAS-E UET Peshawar.
Agreement: Once the project is selected, the PI/Co-PI will be required to sign an agreement contract.
Announcement: Following new scheme is due to be announced soon
ASU and UET Peshawar Joint projects
- In addition to the above projects, ASU will award an ASU faculty working jointly with USPCAS-E UET Peshawar faculty on a collaborative projects. The faculty from USPCAS-E UET Peshawar should seek partnership with ASU or OSU faculty and submit a proposal with specific tasks for each group.
- ASU will fund several projects per year for ASU/OSU faculty working with USPCAS-E UET Peshawar. These projects will be tied to the existing funded USPCAS-E UET Peshawar projects.