2nd Round of Call for Proposals for Joint Applied Research Projects with ASU/OSU (only for UET, Peshawar, faculty)
- Program Overview:
Center for Advanced Studies in Energy at the National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) and the University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar (UET), working with Arizona State University (ASU)/Oregon State University (OSU) is a new initiative funded by USAID with the aim to address the challenges faced by the energy sector in Pakistan.
The objective of the joint research projects in the areas that will have direct impact on the Pakistan Energy Economy, industry, utilities, and workforce. All the proposals require partnerships and support (financial, in-kind, or technical) from Industry, Utility companies, the Federal and provincial Government and civil society for research support, matching funds, and project directions. Joint Research Proposals should develop transformative, multi-disciplinary approaches to energy solutions that will make a significant impact in Pakistan energy sector. Proposals should clearly indicate how the proposed approach contributes to making an impact in the Pakistan energy sector.
- Proposed Research Areas:
The faculty from UET including USPCAS-E should identify the expert within the participating faculty at the ASU/OSU and develop/submit the joint research proposals in the aforementioned thematic areas. The topical areas for the joint proposals are as follows. In the proposal title, specify the proposed area from the list below:
- Energy Systems including power system, grid, and micro-grid
- Renewable energy conversion and storage
- Thermal Energy, including exchanges, and related area
- Energy Economy, Management, Environmental Impact, Security.
- July 31, 2017 – 5 PM Pakistan time: White paper Preliminary proposal.
- August 30, 2017 - Final Proposal Presentation
- Four proposals will be selected from UET to present their final proposal in PowerPoint format to the selection committee during first week of September 2017.
- Final Selection/Award: September 15, 2017.
- White Paper Format: Each proposal MUST have the following sections in it, or it may get rejected.
Technical Content: Maximum 5 pages
- Title, PI and Co-PI
- Industry / government / utility partnership (letter of support in the supplemental)
- Proposed Area (See the list above.
- Summary (half page)
- Technical Contents
- Goals (What do you plan to work on)
- Importance and application of the project
- Technical Details
- Potential for commercialization
- Impact in Pakistan
- Deliverables: Demonstration, application, hardware, software, publications, patents, etc.
- Milestones: Deliverables with timeline for each Quarter
Additional supporting information (outside 5 pages)
- Technical References/bibliography (1 page)
- Budget (see details bellow )
- Industry/ Government / Utility company collaboration (letter of interest/participation, or other forms of showing collaboration or matching funds from industry. Preference would be given to those proposals in which industry is a collaborator.
- Funding Information:
- Project Duration: The project will be for 1 year.
- ASU/OSU Budget: As Per ASU guidelines
- UET: Refer to UET Joint Research Policy
- Eligibility: All faculty of UET including USPCAS-E PI. Should be a full time faculty member with advanced degree and relevant research experience.
- Proposal Review and Selection Process:
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Technical Merit – Overall scientific or technical merit of the proposal, including development of testbed.
- Deliverables, Milestones: Clear and measurable milestones, testbeds or hardware or software or specific outcome, clear work plan and deadlines,
- Impact to Pakistan Energy
- Teaming with energy partners (industry / government / utilities / etc.)
- Commercial Viability/Return on investment - Detailed economic analysis such as cost on a $/kW basis, O&M cost (total $), and Payback period/projected service life in Pakistan.
- Quarterly review / poster / conference to review the project progress by the Committee (ASU/UET)
The proposals will be evaluated based on the milestones indicated in the successful proposals. The deliverables such as research products and/or publications, presentations and/or posters at the National/International scientific meetings, and Patents will be considered for milestones completion. The specifics of the Review Criteria will be as per UET guidelines/ would be communicated to the PIs.
Note: All applicants should contact the following faculty members of ASU/OSU for their relevant field of research:
|S.No||ASU/OSU Faculty||Field of Research||Online Profile Details|
|8||Harvey Bryan||Green Building
Thermal modeling of building
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.